Sunday, July 1, 2012

Antique Cavalier Cedar Stow Away Chest- $195



Ok let me just start by saying the pictures do not do this piece justice!  I could not for the life of me get the true color to show up!  It looks very white or off white with a hint of gray in these pics, but its got a lot more depth to it in person.  The color is actually called Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams (which just also happens to be the color of the walls in my living room), but I also glazed over it so the color changed a bit.  There are hints of green and blue depending on the light, but the color remains extremely neutral.  And with the glaze, it also gives it very subtle brown highlights.  I know that all sounds weird and pretty ugly, but trust me....It is G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S! 




 I added a bit of whimsy with the stencils behind the knobs too.  It gives an overall masculine piece a little feminine touch.  Oh and did I mention this is a CEDAR dresser!?!  Let's take a look inside shall we:)
 I did some research and this was actually made in the 1940s by a company called The Cavalier Corporation out of Chatanooga TN.  These were considered very fine quality and very desirable back then and has definitely stood the test of time!  It is still in almost new condition! 



The marking inside says "Complete Cedar Chest Protection, Aroma-flow Constructed Drawers".  There is also a mechanism that locks all 3 drawers with one key.  Unfortunately this chest did not have the key included, so it won't work as intended unless you were to have it re-keyed.  I have no idea if that's even possible. 







Here is one of the original ads!  Prices started at $39.50 back in the 1940s :) 
The dimensions are 3 feet wide by 19 inches deep by 30 inches tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment